Preppers

Go down

Preppers

Post by Marconius on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Man, I just watched this show for the first time (ok, so it is still on) and I must say that show confirmed my sanity. Even though I prepare for disaster, I am no where near as far off the reservation as those guys. I to keep at least 2 weeks worth of food and water in storage. Right now I have about a month of food/water for my wife and I stored along with a little extra in case Tyler decides to ride out the storm with us. I keep this because of hurricanes. For the really good ones, I am usually without full electricity for about 2 weeks. Along with the food and water I have a really nice propane camp stove and about a month or two's worth of fuel for it stored as well.

Working in Cali for the past few years, some of the guys over there think that I am a doomsday kinda guy (hey I got a bunch of guns, and I store food so I must be ready for doomsday). I find that strange. The people in Cali are under constant threat of earthquakes so I would have thought they would have done the same. Come to find out, I have met less than 5 people over there who are prepared for a disaster. Meanwhile most of my friends and relatives back in Louisiana do what I do.

Bryant, do you prepare for a disaster??? If not, why not???

Miles, how about you??? I really don't know if you are under the same threat that I am, but what about things like floods???

I'm pretty sure Dennis has some stuff prepared. Alabama is like a hurricane magnet.

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!" -Gen. L. "Chesty" Puller, CO, 1 MARDIV, in Korea surrounded by 22 enemy divisions

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.
Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Preppers

Post by Marconius on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Well after watching "Preppers" I went and scanned through some survivalist forums. Most of the people on those boards were not what I thought I would find. Most of them seemed down to earth and heated arguments were rare (oh how that is different from the old "History" forum days of Myspace....Bill was the most educated dumb dude I've ever met).

Anyway, I stumbled across this site:
http://shtfschool.com

This is the site of a dude that survived a city's siege during the Bosnian Civil War. Damn but his accounts were horrendous. We here in tUSA think Katrina was hell, but that was nothing. If you wanna read first hand accounts of a real Shit Hits The Fan (SHTF) scenario, this is it.

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!" -Gen. L. "Chesty" Puller, CO, 1 MARDIV, in Korea surrounded by 22 enemy divisions

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.
Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:12 am

Marconius wrote:
Miles, how about you??? I really don't know if you are under the same threat that I am, but what about things like floods???

We don't really get natural disasters over here so no-one is prepared for it - hell, last year when we had snow for more than 4 days in a row, the whole country shut down, no-one could go anywhere, business & schools shut down etc, was total panic. If the snow had gone on for another 2, 3 days I was expecting to see stories in the news of yuppies who had been forced to eat each other to stay alive after they couldn't get their SUV out of their gently sloping drive and drive the 200m out of their housing estate to get to the main road to go to the shop a mile down the road.... :-) If a real disaster did happen, we'd all pretty much be fucked.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Miles1 wrote:
Marconius wrote:

We don't really get natural disasters over here so no-one is prepared for it - hell, last year when we had snow for more than 4 days in a row, the whole country shut down, no-one could go anywhere, business & schools shut down etc, was total panic. If the snow had gone on for another 2, 3 days I was expecting to see stories in the news of yuppies who had been forced to eat each other to stay alive after they couldn't get their SUV out of their gently sloping drive and drive the 200m out of their housing estate to get to the main road to go to the shop a mile down the road.... :-) If a real disaster did happen, we'd all pretty much be fucked.

To be honest Miles, it doesn't take much to get prepared. You don't have to go overboard with it. One of the best things about going to work in California was that I got exposed to a good bit of backpakers and hikers. These guys (and gals) turned me on to Mountain House brand freeze dried food. This stuff is like MRE's but taste sssssooooooooo much better. They last for years so you only have to buy once every 10-20 years. Get yourself enough to last for a week or so, plenty of water to cook it with and a portable camp stove w/ fuel. Along with that just make sure you have a battery operated radio for public safety announcements and a good storage of batteries.

Gustaf was the closest storm to really fucking me. I was without electricity for almost 2 weeks (it ain't fun to be in my area, during the hottest month of the year. without A/C). The stuff I had came close to running out. That is why I upped my storage to last us close to a month.

Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:42 am

Marconius wrote:Along with that just make sure you have a battery operated radio for public safety announcements and a good storage of batteries.

Well, I have one of them wind-up radios so that does me there - don't think I'd bother listen for public safety announcements tho, our fecking government would just screw them up. After 9/11 there was some worry here that if there was a terrorist attack on Sellafield Nuclear plant, just across the Irish Sea from us, that we'd all be fucked if it did a chernobyl with the wind pointing towards us. The government's response? They apparently sent out a leaflet to every household in the country to effectively say "if you hear that there's a terrorist attack on sellafield, stay indoors" (well, duh), along with a packet of iodine tablets which are allegedly supposed to help stop you getting thyroid cancer. Thing is, those tablets are only semi-effective for certain types of radiation, and some of the ones they sent out were already past their expiration date anyway. And I said "apparently sent out" there because not every house got them (my place didn't). That's the level of preparedness we have over here....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:30 am

I think the risks faced are very different in various parts of California, and as such the degree to which people prepare for natural disasters varies greatly.

My parents, like most other mountain folk, have to worry about the possibility of severe snow storms stranding them and cutting power supplies. Last year they lost power for about a week and a half due to a storm (my grandparent, who live at about twice the elevation of my parents, have lost power for several weeks in a row in the past). People who live in the mountains often keep stockpiles of fire wood and usually at least a week or so of food during winter. They also tend of own generators, chain saws, propane cooking equipment, camping gear, and 4x4 trucks/Jeeps.

In Fresno, we don't really have to be overly concerned about natural disasters, and as such I would suspect most Fresnans do not prep for any such event. We are far enough away from a major seismic source to not have to worry about an earthquake impairing our access to services. Our record snow fall could probably be measured in cm. We do get tornados, however they're rare and you southerners would probably laugh at their size. We don't have hurricanes, and we're pretty safe from tsunamis. Fresno is built on flat ground, so land slides are out (save perhaps for the rich folks on the bluffs). The one thing we do have to worry about is flooding, as this USGS report clearly demonstrates (that worst case scenario is frightening, however I'm not sure how much good stocking up on survival supplies does when your house becomes aquatic!). I suppose we are at risk from ash fall in instance of a volcanic eruption at Long Valley Caldera, however that's unlikely to disrupt supply ground transportation in the Valley.

I strongly doubt that very many people in the Bay Area, LA region, or San Diego (pop > 1,000,000) are prepared for natural disasters and as such would be screwed if something like a tsunami or a large number of land slides (an earthquake during or right after a large rain storm can unleash large numbers of land slides in hilly country, such as in the three mentioned metro areas) were to occur. That said, LA and SD have both been periodically cut off from the rest of the state by wildfires in the last couple years, so hopefully their inhabitants have learned (unlikely). I have a very hard time imagining that too many of the yuppies in the Bay Area have even thought about stock piling supplies and equipment for a disaster.
Bryant
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:22 pm

This is the kind of 'severe weather' we get in the Valley. This is why many around here don't worry too much about disasters. That said, my parents got 1.5' of snow out of this storm.

Bryant
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 am

Mobile has to worry about hurricanes, but I live far enough north (near Tuscaloosa) that hurricanes rarely are a bother for me. Biggest problem is loss of power. Of course, that shuts off the water pump at the bottom of the hill, so we lose water too. But the main thing we deal with are tornadoes.

I bought a pressure cooker and began canning veggies last year. Little by little.

I have a gas grill and a gas smoker too, so I can cook if I have too. (Well...my home is gas too, but mom's isnt.

I have guns. Lots of em. Not assault rifles, but hunting guns.
Plus a very aggressive dog.

We have land too and it is way up on a hill, so no worries about flooding. And I'm filling my freezer. What I really need is a good quality generator. I'd rather have a propane type, thought thats expensive nowadays. Do you guys know if propane generators are better than the gas ones? What do I need to know about buying one?

Roll Tide!
Dennis324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am

Miles1 wrote:
Marconius wrote:

Lol! Miles, where I live, if there is ther merest hint of possible snow....schools shut down, people flood the supermarkets and buy up all the bread and milk. (What are they gonna do with all that bread and milk?). And it almost never ever snows here. And even if it does, it is just baaaarely a dusting. The roads dont get icy very often, but people here just act as if a blizzard were coming. Lol!

Roll Tide!
Dennis324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:18 pm

[quote="Bryant"]This is the kind of 'severe weather' we get in the Valley. This is why many around here don't worry too much about disasters. That said, my parents got 1.5' of snow out of this storm.
[quote]

Well last Monday I got 8" of rain in about 4 hours. I was lucky. About 5 miles south of me got a tad bit over 15" in the same 4 hour span. The towns of Church Point, Sunset, Grand Coteaux, and Arnoldville got all of that. We didn't even know the flood levels in the bayous 'cause the flood guages were under water.

It kinda screwed me on my flight back to Cali the very next day, but I can't complain. My wife told me the water in Church Point still hasn't receeded much. I-10 kinda screwed that town. The watershed in my area runs southwest towards Church Point (infact all the water that fell that day ran towards CP). From there it goes pretty much straight south to Vermillion Bay. I-10 makes basically a dam that restricts water flow.....and another big storm is hitting the area in the morning!

Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum