Horse Meat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Horse Meat

Post by Miles1 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 am

Is this scandal getting much airplay over in the US at the moment? Seems that a few food processing plants that sell their meat to several large supermarket chains have been bulking up their beef shipments with horse meat - at the beginning it was just cheap low-end burgers with small amounts of horse DNA found, then it expanded and earlier in the week they found that one particular product that was supposed to be "beef lasagne" was actually 100% horse meat. There have been several other entire product ranges pulled from the shelves now because they've found horse meat to some degree in them, and this has gone up to european summit level now

In one way, people can't see what the fuss is about, horse meat is a common enough dish on the continent, but in another way is quite worrying as it is bringing to light the issue that you never really know where your meat is coming from, or even what's really in it, if you buy it from a supermarket. In one way it may be a good thing, as it will send people back to their local butchers who have been gradually squeezed out of the market over the last few years by the big conglomerates. Me, I haven't bought meat in a supermarket in well over a year, I go to the guy in the local farmers market.

There are a hell of a lot of good jokes going around for it though :-P

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Horse Meat

Post by Bryant on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:52 pm

I don't think this has caught much air time in the US. If it happened here it would likely be a huge scandal (many of us harbor a certain sentimentality about horses), however Europe is too far off for most to care.
Bryant
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Yeah, Bryant is right. I haven't heard a peep.

He is also right about what would happen over here. Lot's of horse lovers over here(I noticed that sounded perverted as I typed it.......went with it anyway).

Me.....I wouldn't think twice. I'd eat pretty much anything if it didn't eat me first. Remind me sometime and I'll post some pics of some of the animals us Coonasses eat.

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!" -Gen. L. "Chesty" Puller, CO, 1 MARDIV, in Korea surrounded by 22 enemy divisions

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.
Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 am

Marconius wrote:
He is also right about what would happen over here. Lot's of horse lovers over here(I noticed that sounded perverted as I typed it.......went with it anyway).

Me.....I wouldn't think twice. I'd eat pretty much anything if it didn't eat me first. Remind me sometime and I'll post some pics of some of the animals us Coonasses eat.

Well, just because it hasn't been found in the US yet doesn't mean it isn't there - up until 2 weeks ago we all thought over here that our beef burgers were, well, beef :-P

The problem isn't so much the horse meat itself, it's that the horse meat is mixed in with what should be beef, that no-one knows where it comes from or how it got there, how long it's been out there, or how much of it is actually out there. Basically, no-one can trust their beef to be beef any more unless you know the butcher you got it from. Plus there's a chance that the horse meat is contaminated with some horse medicine which is carcinogenic in humans (they're still testing for that). And it isn't just burgers, they've found it now in spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, meatballs, kebab meat, and a few others.

Seems there's a seriously tangled web of suppliers involved. One of the items that has been pulled off the shelves in Ireland is Findus Frozen Lasagne. Findus is a Swedish company, but the lasagnes were prepared by a French company whose factory is in Luxembourg. Apparently though, they got the meat from another French company who bought the meat from traders in Cyprus and the Netherlands, who sourced it in Romania.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Miles1 wrote:
Marconius wrote:

Well, just because it hasn't been found in the US yet doesn't mean it isn't there - up until 2 weeks ago we all thought over here that our beef burgers were, well, beef :-P

The problem isn't so much the horse meat itself, it's that the horse meat is mixed in with what should be beef, that no-one knows where it comes from or how it got there, how long it's been out there, or how much of it is actually out there. Basically, no-one can trust their beef to be beef any more unless you know the butcher you got it from. Plus there's a chance that the horse meat is contaminated with some horse medicine which is carcinogenic in humans (they're still testing for that). And it isn't just burgers, they've found it now in spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, meatballs, kebab meat, and a few others.

Seems there's a seriously tangled web of suppliers involved. One of the items that has been pulled off the shelves in Ireland is Findus Frozen Lasagne. Findus is a Swedish company, but the lasagnes were prepared by a French company whose factory is in Luxembourg. Apparently though, they got the meat from another French company who bought the meat from traders in Cyprus and the Netherlands, who sourced it in Romania.

Well, you're right. If it is there, with the current global economy, it is most definitely here as well.

I also see your concern. It isn't so much the horse meat itself, it is whatever else is in there with it. I have a big problem with that too. One of the main reasons I buy meat and meat products from local farmers/suppliers (unless it is food I am buying to stock for emergencies......who cares what is in that freeze dried stuff).

We created the monster. We have to live with it. We let global corporations take over our governments and kill the little guys. We continue to do it today and smile while doing it. Who really pays the price for governmental intrusion??? It ain't those corporations. Hell they are the ones pushing for regulations that will continue to put the small guy outta business. They can afford to play the game that way, mom and pop can't. Of course we sit here and say government can be a force of good. Of course we can't think of one example of that, but we continue to think it will be different this time around.

Do what I do. Buy at local markets from local farmers. Stay away from the chain stores. Don't buy the frozen crap (no self-respecting Cajun would ever do that). Start cooking for real.

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!" -Gen. L. "Chesty" Puller, CO, 1 MARDIV, in Korea surrounded by 22 enemy divisions

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.
Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miles1 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 am

Marconius wrote:
Do what I do. Buy at local markets from local farmers. Stay away from the chain stores. Don't buy the frozen crap (no self-respecting Cajun would ever do that). Start cooking for real.

A lot more ppl are starting to come around to that way of thinking. Apparently in the last week alone, local butchers in Ireland and the UK (where all this fun started) are reporting a 15-20% uptick in business. Me, I haven't bought meat in a supermarket in well over a year. Is a local farmers market that I go to instead.

So what sort of "for real" cooking you doing? Any cajun recipes to share?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 am

Miles1 wrote:
Marconius wrote:

A lot more ppl are starting to come around to that way of thinking. Apparently in the last week alone, local butchers in Ireland and the UK (where all this fun started) are reporting a 15-20% uptick in business. Me, I haven't bought meat in a supermarket in well over a year. Is a local farmers market that I go to instead.

So what sort of "for real" cooking you doing? Any cajun recipes to share?

Ugh, I would never buy any kind of meat product from tUK. Mad cow and all. In fact, I cannot donate blood to this day because I was in Holland in the late '80's when the mad cow scare was peaking.

Nothing wrong with me today*head twitches uncontrollably*

Let me know what kind of recipes you want and I will send them to you. Problem is, I don't know what ingredients you can get over there. Seasoning is key. Rice is key. Seafood is key. Of course we do have lots of recipes for chicken, pork and such, but the really good ones involve shrimp, crab or crawfish.........wild game too. If you like steak, Bryant is the guy to talk to. Louisiana doesn't have great steak. California has world class steak.

Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:10 am

Heard a recent report that 80%+ of red snapper served in the us is actually talapia and theres some eel like fish that is often substituted for tuna.

Sir Pun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:00 pm

This has gotten some airplay on Fox News in recent days. They talked about how thees a problem with how food ingredients are policed over over there and how there is no real guarantee that a frozen dinner which says it has 'beef' in it...actually has beef. They also talked about how people might start going to butcher shops again.

Roll Tide!
Dennis324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis324 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Pun wrote:Heard a recent report that 80%+ of red snapper served in the us is actually talapia and theres some eel like fish that is often substituted for tuna.
Yep, I heard that too. I think I'm gonna start catching my own fish from now on.

Roll Tide!
Dennis324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marconius on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 am

Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Just wait til obama lays off all the meat inspectors over sequestration. Them and the air traffic controllers are the first to go. And mark my words, ALL the media will be focusing on are these hard luck stories abt ppl effected by it, and if only those damn republicans would get out of the way and let him be king. Hes already that "the problem is, im not emperor," during the fiscal cliff talks. If only he could do whatever he wanted we'd be awesome!

Sir Pun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm

When i guarantee if he was for the sequester, everyone now whos against it with him, would just as blindly be for it with him and blaming the republicans for trying to stop, which they have actually offered up a number of bills not to even see a vote in the senate, so....

Sir Pun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Pun on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:04 pm

I know i know im spilling over

Sir Pun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content