Nest building

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nest building

Post by Sir Pun on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 am

With everything modern science understands about evolution, DNA, and the general process of life, its still hard for me to grasp how such complex behavior as nest building can become hardwired into an entire genus of species, rather than being a learned behavior. And obviously this goes to all complexbehaviors. I guess its just hard to get into an instinctive mindset like that, and imagine what its like not having higher cognitive thought.

Sir Pun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nest building

Post by Marconius on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Who says we really have higher cognitive thought???

How exactly do we know what we do that is and isn't instinctual???

How do we know we aren't overthinking things???

How do I know I didn't just type up a bunch of BS???

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!" -Gen. L. "Chesty" Puller, CO, 1 MARDIV, in Korea surrounded by 22 enemy divisions

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.

Marconius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryant on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm trying to do a little research on the development of nests (many mammals and reptiles also have some form of 'nesting' behavior. Give me a little time and I'll do my best to give a scientificey response. That said, biology really never was my thing.

Bryant
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:33 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top