Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Post by Bryant on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:30 am

Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:Post hoc ergo propter hoc is latin for "after this, therefore because of this."  Its a logical fallacy where one claims that because x precedes y, x must cause y.  Its false causation.  

Gas prices were low when Obama came to office because global demand plummeted in late 2008/early 2009 due to the global recession.  As the markets began to turn around demand rose, resulting in an increase in fuel prices (back to around where they were prior to the recession).  While the statement that gas was far cheaper when Obama first came to office is true, Obama's election isn't the reason gas prices went up.
1)We know what it means

2) Still spinning. If memory would serve you correct, global demand did not drop off. Emerging economies such as China and India took up the slack. Prices had dropped long before the recession hit.

It is easy to blame one guy when that one guy went public and admitted that his policies would cause a necessary increase in prices because he wanted to shift to alternative means(Google it, Bing it if your nasty......plenty of vids of him saying it on Youtube). He did keep his word.

echo......echo.....echo
In California, at least, prices fell into the $1.90/gal range in early 2009.  Prices had previously been in the $3-4.00 range.  Our prices eased back up to where they had been prior to the downturn as the economy began to improve.  Not echo, economics.
I was here (Cali) in 2009. I never saw it under $4/gallon. In fact, LA has always had some of the lowest gas prices in tUSA. It hasn't been below $2/gallon since the mid-2000's.

Tell you what......$1.90/gallon barely covers the Fed and state tax in Cali. You guys pay almost $.90/gallon. That would mean big oil was selling it for around $1/gallon. There is no profit at that level. Something in your figures is amiss.

Yes, it is economics. Simple economics 101 actually. The economics of a large government regulating and taxing costs so much that end level consumers pay much higher.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/01/average-gas-prices-january-26-2009/index.htm
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/23/us.gas.prices.lundberg/
http://www.CaliforniaGasPrices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=California&city2=&city3=&crude=n&tme=96&units=us Note 12/14/2008

Hows that for echo!
avatar
Bryant
Admin

Posts : 1452
Join date : 2012-01-28
Age : 29
Location : John Day, Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Post by Dennis324 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:Post hoc ergo propter hoc is latin for "after this, therefore because of this."  Its a logical fallacy where one claims that because x precedes y, x must cause y.  Its false causation.  

Gas prices were low when Obama came to office because global demand plummeted in late 2008/early 2009 due to the global recession.  As the markets began to turn around demand rose, resulting in an increase in fuel prices (back to around where they were prior to the recession).  While the statement that gas was far cheaper when Obama first came to office is true, Obama's election isn't the reason gas prices went up.
1)We know what it means

2) Still spinning. If memory would serve you correct, global demand did not drop off. Emerging economies such as China and India took up the slack. Prices had dropped long before the recession hit.

It is easy to blame one guy when that one guy went public and admitted that his policies would cause a necessary increase in prices because he wanted to shift to alternative means(Google it, Bing it if your nasty......plenty of vids of him saying it on Youtube). He did keep his word.

echo......echo.....echo
In California, at least, prices fell into the $1.90/gal range in early 2009.  Prices had previously been in the $3-4.00 range.  Our prices eased back up to where they had been prior to the downturn as the economy began to improve.  Not echo, economics.
I was here (Cali) in 2009. I never saw it under $4/gallon. In fact, LA has always had some of the lowest gas prices in tUSA. It hasn't been below $2/gallon since the mid-2000's.

Tell you what......$1.90/gallon barely covers the Fed and state tax in Cali. You guys pay almost $.90/gallon. That would mean big oil was selling it for around $1/gallon. There is no profit at that level. Something in your figures is amiss.

Yes, it is economics. Simple economics 101 actually. The economics of a large government regulating and taxing costs so much that end level consumers pay much higher.
Taxes are a reason gas prices are higher.  Some places have more taxes.
We have less taxes but gas still costs so much.  Not as much as LA, but most people around here don't make as much money as people in large urban cities.  So it hurts us so much.  I haven't completely filled my tank in years.  I cant afford to.  We used to drive to Tuscaloosa at least once a week and dine out on the weekend.  Cant do that but maybe once every other month now.  I try to by about half a tank and get by with that...and I don't drive very much anymore.
 
Less driving really hurts restaurants as well as you guys at the oil companies.  Not trying to hurt ya, but I just cant afford to drive as much.

_________________

 


                   Roll Tide!
avatar
Dennis324

Posts : 1689
Join date : 2012-01-28
Age : 55
Location : Alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Post by Miles1 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:06 am

Dennis324 wrote:Again, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, hangs out with ducks, its probably a duck.
Or a very very well disguised duck-hunter playing the long game....

_________________
QVIDQVID LATINE DICTVM SIT, ALTVR PROFONDVS
avatar
Miles1

Posts : 1080
Join date : 2012-01-28
Age : 40
Location : Cork, IE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Post by Dennis324 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:26 pm


 
"If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck,
den shoot that lying summa' bitchen goose and supa' down!"

_________________

 


                   Roll Tide!
avatar
Dennis324

Posts : 1689
Join date : 2012-01-28
Age : 55
Location : Alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Post by Marconius on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:Post hoc ergo propter hoc is latin for "after this, therefore because of this."  Its a logical fallacy where one claims that because x precedes y, x must cause y.  Its false causation.  

Gas prices were low when Obama came to office because global demand plummeted in late 2008/early 2009 due to the global recession.  As the markets began to turn around demand rose, resulting in an increase in fuel prices (back to around where they were prior to the recession).  While the statement that gas was far cheaper when Obama first came to office is true, Obama's election isn't the reason gas prices went up.
1)We know what it means

2) Still spinning. If memory would serve you correct, global demand did not drop off. Emerging economies such as China and India took up the slack. Prices had dropped long before the recession hit.

It is easy to blame one guy when that one guy went public and admitted that his policies would cause a necessary increase in prices because he wanted to shift to alternative means(Google it, Bing it if your nasty......plenty of vids of him saying it on Youtube). He did keep his word.

echo......echo.....echo
In California, at least, prices fell into the $1.90/gal range in early 2009.  Prices had previously been in the $3-4.00 range.  Our prices eased back up to where they had been prior to the downturn as the economy began to improve.  Not echo, economics.
I was here (Cali) in 2009. I never saw it under $4/gallon. In fact, LA has always had some of the lowest gas prices in tUSA. It hasn't been below $2/gallon since the mid-2000's.

Tell you what......$1.90/gallon barely covers the Fed and state tax in Cali. You guys pay almost $.90/gallon. That would mean big oil was selling it for around $1/gallon. There is no profit at that level. Something in your figures is amiss.

Yes, it is economics. Simple economics 101 actually. The economics of a large government regulating and taxing costs so much that end level consumers pay much higher.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/01/average-gas-prices-january-26-2009/index.htm
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/23/us.gas.prices.lundberg/
http://www.CaliforniaGasPrices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=California&city2=&city3=&crude=n&tme=96&units=us Note 12/14/2008

Hows that for echo!
Typo in my original response. Instead of $4/gallon, it should have been $3/gallon....whatever

I still stand by my claims however. I never did pay less than $3/gallon at any time since I have been here regardless of year. Right now it is over $4/gallon(disclaimer: I do use diesel). Course Santa Barbara county does have higher pricing than 99.9% of the country.

Still there is an echo. When exactly did the economy get better and when did the prices begin to rise??? I hope you really do not believe the economy is better now than it was then. Maybe marginally, but that is splitting hairs. Even still, your claim is somewhat off. Prices rose far quicker than the economy. If an improving economy is the cause of rising gas prices, as you claim, we should still have gas around $2.25-2.50/gallon. That is about how miniscule the economy has improved.

_________________
"If guns are supposed to kill people, then all of mine are defective..."
-The Honorable Ted Nugent

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!" -Gen. L. "Chesty" Puller, CO, 1 MARDIV, in Korea surrounded by 22 enemy divisions

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.
avatar
Marconius

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 48
Location : Opelousas Louisiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Post by Marconius on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Dennis324 wrote:
Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:
Marconius wrote:
Bryant wrote:Post hoc ergo propter hoc is latin for "after this, therefore because of this."  Its a logical fallacy where one claims that because x precedes y, x must cause y.  Its false causation.  

Gas prices were low when Obama came to office because global demand plummeted in late 2008/early 2009 due to the global recession.  As the markets began to turn around demand rose, resulting in an increase in fuel prices (back to around where they were prior to the recession).  While the statement that gas was far cheaper when Obama first came to office is true, Obama's election isn't the reason gas prices went up.
1)We know what it means

2) Still spinning. If memory would serve you correct, global demand did not drop off. Emerging economies such as China and India took up the slack. Prices had dropped long before the recession hit.

It is easy to blame one guy when that one guy went public and admitted that his policies would cause a necessary increase in prices because he wanted to shift to alternative means(Google it, Bing it if your nasty......plenty of vids of him saying it on Youtube). He did keep his word.

echo......echo.....echo
In California, at least, prices fell into the $1.90/gal range in early 2009.  Prices had previously been in the $3-4.00 range.  Our prices eased back up to where they had been prior to the downturn as the economy began to improve.  Not echo, economics.
I was here (Cali) in 2009. I never saw it under $4/gallon. In fact, LA has always had some of the lowest gas prices in tUSA. It hasn't been below $2/gallon since the mid-2000's.

Tell you what......$1.90/gallon barely covers the Fed and state tax in Cali. You guys pay almost $.90/gallon. That would mean big oil was selling it for around $1/gallon. There is no profit at that level. Something in your figures is amiss.

Yes, it is economics. Simple economics 101 actually. The economics of a large government regulating and taxing costs so much that end level consumers pay much higher.
Taxes are a reason gas prices are higher.  Some places have more taxes.
We have less taxes but gas still costs so much.  Not as much as LA, but most people around here don't make as much money as people in large urban cities.  So it hurts us so much.  I haven't completely filled my tank in years.  I cant afford to.  We used to drive to Tuscaloosa at least once a week and dine out on the weekend.  Cant do that but maybe once every other month now.  I try to by about half a tank and get by with that...and I don't drive very much anymore.
 
Less driving really hurts restaurants as well as you guys at the oil companies.  Not trying to hurt ya, but I just cant afford to drive as much.
Driving less doesn't hurt us as much as you think. Most of what we make is natural gas. Even the oil we make isn't that affected by how much people drive. What affects it more, is how much stuff like plastics, medicine, paint, epoxies, solar panels, etc., etc., etc., you buy(dang near anything you buy these days has oil byproducts in it). As long as China, or any other country for that matter, is manufacturing stuff, oil is in demand.

_________________
"If guns are supposed to kill people, then all of mine are defective..."
-The Honorable Ted Nugent

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -- Ambrose Bierce (1887)

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!" -Gen. L. "Chesty" Puller, CO, 1 MARDIV, in Korea surrounded by 22 enemy divisions

Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.
avatar
Marconius

Posts : 1800
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 48
Location : Opelousas Louisiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Post by Dennis324 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm

That's true enough.  Plastics and all that is another reason why prices have risen.

_________________

 


                   Roll Tide!
avatar
Dennis324

Posts : 1689
Join date : 2012-01-28
Age : 55
Location : Alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Communists in Congress? Just count 'em

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum